Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Layaphillic

There is always some thing with my email Id. layaphillic@gmail.com. The first question I have to confront is whats the thing with layaphillic.
Just few days back a gentleman miss took my id to be some malicious virus and denied the friend request on gtalk. I am not a malicious Virus!!!! Before this my grand mom was bugging me about why I should be marrying a hindu brahmin guy. She was too worried about my marriage from no where. She even started pressing my mom to find a groom for me. I couldn’t comprehend at first. For the reader this might seem digressive when I am talking about my mail id. There is a strong relevance.
A super smart cousin of mine expressed his dubiety to my grand mom if I had a Christian boy friend!!?? The reason being the Phillic in my Id enunciates like Phillip. Excuse me!!
Hence I have set out to post the blog for those who try to interpret it and put me trouble most of the times. Here it goes.
Etymologically, phillic means love. Just as the word Anglophile, one who loves English. Most of kannadigas are anglophile Layaphillic is one who loves laya. So there is no Phillip in my life or my name.
Now you would be wondering why Laya it should have been Shobhaphillic. The transformation from Shobha to laya also goes with a not so interesting story.
May be it was during my 9th class when we played this game “what is your name Anyway”. A stupid game. Names of your iconic characters would be written on chits and the name on the chit would be christened to you by your friends for rest of your school life. We called that day as “Names Day” too. Unbelievable!! Nah, you guess it wrong I never got the chit with the name Laya. I actually got a chit with the name Rose. There was this aficionado to the character Rose, in my class who watched the movie Titanic some 5 times. I exchanged the chit with her for a BackStreet Boys poster. That’s how I was known as Laya .It just continued and thus my name among most of my friends is Laya and my id layaphillic@gmail.com. Dobara mat poochnaaaaaa..

4 comments:

princess mahathi said...

u still didnt tell here properly how u got laya???

nandu said...

magi.. read the last part man..

neetz said...

i mean really.... should i say i am amazed at your narration or the unprecedented turn of acts :) ... what the heck!!!! nice one though.

Hemanth said...

Shobha, nice explanation of "layaphillic". Konchem yekkuvagaane elaborate chesinaaa - it's good.